Getting Started with Google Analytics
While you don’t need a Google Analytics (GA) account to attend our “Introduction to GA for the Dental Team” webinar, you might find it helpful as you will want to dig into your own data after the presentation. Accordingly, this post will show you how to setup a GA account and get the data into your WordPress website.*
Here is the overview of the steps you will take:
- Create a free Google Account if you don’t have one already.
- Create a free Google Analytics account if you don’t have one already.
- Add the tracking code to your website.*
*If you have WordPress and you have administrative access, you can do this on your own. If you do not have access, or if you don’t have a WordPress-based website, then your web developer will be able to add the code for you.
I did not list the details for each of the steps in this post since it would take up too much space; rather, I’ve pointed you to Google’s own resources that explain what steps need to be taken. If you have questions feel free to post on our private (dentists/dental-team only) Facebook group. You can request access on this page.
Here are the specific steps:
- You can create a free Google account by heading to this Google link: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/27441?hl=en
- You can then create a free GA account by using the Google Account you created above:
You only need to complete the steps in the “Get Started with Analytics“
- You will now get the tracking code for your website. Step 3 of the above link will direct you to this page: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1008080, which will show you how to get your tracking code. The tracking code is in the format (UA-000000-1) — and your ID will have numbers that are unique to your site.
It’s important to understand that the ACCOUNT is the top-level account for your office, whereas a property is an individual website. So if you have two offices, your account might be “Dr. Wank, DMD” and your properties would be “Short Hills Office Website” and “Maplewood Office Website”.
If you are a WordPress user, you can add the Google Analytics by Monster Insights plugin to your website. From there you can add the UA-code from above. If you are not comfortable adding a plugin to WordPress, please ask your web developer. Once you’ve added the plugin, you can follow these brief instructions to add the code.
Google Analytics is a critical, must-have tool for every dental website. With it, you will be able to learn about your visitors and hopefully use this information to make actionable decisions and acquire new patients.